The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.- Galatians 5:6
I’m not saying that at some point love isn’t staying up until 2am phone calls or stealing kisses when you least expect it, or instantly falling for each other’s favorite songs because it is, or at least that’s what the lead up to it feels like, but real love, is so much more. It’s going out at 12am to get something to eat for your wife who can’t get out of bed, it’s listening to them as they explode with vulnerability on your living room couch talking about how they were only so young when their parents passed on. it’s remembering how someone likes their coffee in the morning without asking—without ever asking, it’s visiting someone in the hospital knowing the last thing you want to do is see them in that condition, it’s wanting to be with that person despite everything, the future, the past, and everything in between, it’s the intimate things that you don’t even realize involve such intimacy, but they do, in secret, like the pinky promises you two made behind your back, to love one another for always, in the time you thought you were in love, when you were actually just on your way to it.
Sculptures carved from egg shells by Chinese artist Wen Fuliang
The lace on the bottom. The poof. Beautiful.
- One: Why do you do this? Why do you always forgive me? I don't deserve it.
- Two: Do you know the story of Hosea?
- One: No...but I guess you're about to tell me.
- Two: Hosea was a prophet and a righteous man of God. God told him that He was saving Hosea for someone special and he would know without a doubt when he saw her. Well, Hosea meets a prostitute...and God says that's the one. Long story short, he loves her like crazy. Takes her home, gives her everything she ever wanted and just lavishes her with his love. But she can't handle the love and grace she received. She feels unworthy and even more ugly. So she runs back to her old life...over and over and over again. And each time, even if Hosea wants to give up, God reminds him that that woman is really His beautiful bride. And each time, Hosea goes back to her and loves her again.
- One: Hey wait... So you're saying basically that I'm the prostitute, then? Ha ha!
- Two: No... I am. God is my Hosea. And that's why I can keep forgiving you, because my Hosea never gives up on me. And I'm not giving up on you.
Knowing that her value is not depending on how she looks and what she has.
Experiencing security in being alone without compromising what she has saved.
That’s what makes a woman beautiful.
Knowing she is loved by God to her very core.
That makes a woman beautiful, to her very soul.